As Australia’s population is ageing, a shift is occurring – planning for your own parent’s later years is becoming an ever-increasing reality. By 2060, a quarter of Australia’s population will be over 65. Source: By 2060, Australia’s population likely to reach 42 million, says Productivity Commission paper.
2. Family dynamics – who will take on the responsibility should one or both parents be incapacitated.
3. Tax consequences – If not planned for correctly it may trigger tax consequences which may have been avoided.
4. Estate plans – may be compromised with unexpected costs and can cause conflict at a later time.
5. Retirement plans – may not allow for the costs of aged care and result in financial hardship.
Family discussions are an important element of planning for the later years of your parent’s lives. Some of the questions that may assist in planning include:
2. What are your parent’s expectations for how they would want to handle long term care if it occurred?
3. Do your parents have adequate resources to cover the cost of paid caregivers?
4. Will daily care of a parent impact your own retirement plans?
5. Which of you would be the likely caregiver and why?
If you would like to discuss your parents’ aged care plan, please contact us on 0499976058.
Disclaimers & Disclosures
Geoff Ivanac is a Sub-Authorised Representative (No. 000309751) of Barsden Private Wealth Pty Ltd ATF The BPW Trust (ABN 41 153 930 799) trading as Barsden Private Wealth. Barsden Private Wealth is a Corporate Authorised Representative No.416315 of BPW Licensee Services Pty Ltd (AFSL 484 198).
The information provided on this website has been provided as general advice only. We have not taken into account any particular person's objectives, financial situation or needs. You should, before acting on this information, consider the appropriateness of this information having regard to your personal objectives, financial situation or needs. We recommend you obtain financial advice specific to your situation before making any financial investment or insurance decision.